Monday, May 18, 2009

The Buddhist Temple turns me into a vegetarian.




We arrived at the Nan Hua temple that evening. We were just in time for dinner. Our host politely explained the ground rules as we chose our room assignments. Once the rules were explained we went to dinner. At the temple the meals would be vegetarian meals and they were mostly eaten in silence. Our host said we would be able to talk, but make sure it was quietly done. I was glad to see that we all opted to remain silent in respect to our gracious hosts. This was not to much of a problem to me, but it would be a change none the less. Our host explained that we were not to take to much food. Food was to be viewed as energy and not consumed for mere pleasure. In other words was

te not want not. I also learned that the buddhist did not put garlic, onion and other spices in their food. This was to reduce the cause of anger and sexual thoughts amongst the monks. I was like whoa so have not heard that in my nutrition classes. In any event the food was good that evening. I enjoyed the potato like stew, the rice, the vegetables and other options that were served. Even the tofu meat like substance was delicious. After dinner we resided to our rooms. Before I went to the room I had to stop and purchase a

 trinket. I picked up a cute jade bracelet. I would have like to purchase more, but hey I couldn't begin to embark on my shopping spree yet. Still had to tell myself that I would be in Cape Town soon.

The cottages that we were staying in were nice. They consisted of a lounge area, an eat in kitchen, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. Each bedroom contained two twin sized beds and a large closet with extra blankets and pillows in the event we needed them. These came in handy since there was no heat in the cottage and in South Africa is in the Winter season during this time of the year.

The next morning I was able to get up and go running around the compound. I found this to be peaceful in the morning. To see the sun rise above the structures on the grounds was breath taking. I wanted to sit out and watch it more, but it was cold and I wanted to make sure I got in before I missed breakfast. That morning breakfast was filled with fruit, steamed vege

tables, tofu, bread, and rice. I know I might be forgetting the extras, but it was a nice spread. I will admit that this type of breakfast was good. I did not feel to heavy after eating, hmm maybe I can switch to becoming a vegetarian after all. Roflmao!! I even believed myself for a minute there.

After breakfast we headed back out to YWAV. Today we were putting in a whole days worth of work. As we arrived we were treated to tea and biscuits. I fell in love so much with the biscuits that they gave us, that I asked for the recipe. I am anxious to see if mine turn out as delicious as theirs. Our work for the day included taking care of the cleanup and yard work that was needed. The young girls that came to the center for the day also helped us as we cut grass, pruned the bushes and picked up debris from around the site. I was thankful for the help because it did offer an opportunity to get to know the teens who came to the center. The young ladies that were helping me were Ennie and Thembi. They lived in the area and were both finished with school. They both wanted to go to university, but were not able to afford it. Ennie said that she was not sure what she wanted to study, but Thembis wanted to go to school for nursing. I asked them about getting a job in the area. They said that if a person does not have the skills to get certain positions there were not to many jobs in the area. This posed a problem since the work that they were doing for YWAV was only on a voluntary basis. They wanted to have an income to help their families as well as to help save for their futures. I pray that at some point in their future they would be able to find work and afford to go to school. 

As we finished our work for the day we decided to cap the day off with a friendly soccer game. We challenged our guide, Lutendo to a game of soccer. He said that he was a former player so we wanted to see the skills that he had. Myself and my fellow classmate, Megan were the captains of our side and Lutendo was the captain of his side. After scoouting our talent we made sure our side was stacked with the all stars. I have learned that you never go into battle unprepared. I mean come on we could not let him win. We would never hear the end of it. From the time that the whistle was blown I knew it was going to be a battle. I had to channel all my 'Kaka-Ronaldo-Messi-Ronaldinho' like skills into this game. I moved with enough finesse that it truly showed what the “Beautiful Game” was all about. (lmao!) I moved more like a giraffe slipping on a banana peel. I so need to train with the soccer team when I get back. As the dust settled the epic battle ended in a 2-1 defeat. Hey, what can you say, even the best teams can't win them all. I feel a rematch will take place in the near future. All in all a good time was had by all. After the game we gave the center items that we purchased for them. Soccer balls, clothes, and other needed items. The appreciation for this was displayed by everyone. I did not want to leave, but we had to get going if we were to make it back for dinner at the temple.

Due to the expended energy some people wanted to stop at KFC before we came back. You know the carnivore (meatatarian) came out in me and a snack box with a pineapple Fanta was just the perfect solution. (Yes I am a dietetic student who is not afraid to admit that I had some original recipe chicken, chips, and a soda. Delicious!) After our diversion we headed back to the temple in time for dinner. I was still a bit hungary and went to eat at the temple as well. Yes I'm a glutton. lol I just wanted to make sure I had energy for the next day. We were heading off to Kruger in the morning. That evening our driver, Erc and our guide, Lutendo parted. They were not going to go with us to Kruger. It was nice to have gotten to know them both. They helped to make the trip more lively and informative. No worries I am sure whoever was going to take us to Kruger was going to be just as good.


1 comment:

  1. Girl! That title made me do a triple take cause I JUST saw you eat 1/2 a cow @ Los the other night :) You know you're a die hard meatatarian through & through..lol

    ReplyDelete