Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ready set let's roll! It's safari time!!


The next morning we had to get up and leave early so we could have breakfast and then get on the road. In addition to leaving there was to be a tour of the larger temple complex after we had breakfast. However due to a “communication mishap” (communication problem 1) some people missed this tour. I happened to be one of them. No worries, life rolled on.
After we packed our things we were greeted by our new drivers, Sydney and Bigoni. They were going to take us to the lodge in which we were to be staying during our three day safari. I climbed in the van with Sydney and I knew I would immediately like him. He broke it down and said that it would be a 4.5 hour drive to get to our lodge and he wanted to listen to some music along the way. I was down for this. Nothing like looking out the window and admiring the view listening to some good music. One of the girls in our group gave him a CD to put in. It was Common. I was like sweet, I can feel that as we drove through the countryside to get to the lodge.
As we drove I had time to sit back and reflect on the fact that I was in South Africa. We were miles away from home and all sense of familiarity. It was amazing to take a breath and look at the wonderful scenery as we drove by. The bush, the valleys and the mountain like hills we all breathtaking to me. You would think I hadn't been let out of my home with all the pictures that I took. I couldn't help but think of the images, people and places that we encountered during this leg of the journey. You never know how world's apart you can be until you are face to face with what you have only read or heard about. I knew that as we continued to travel that I would feel like this and then some.
Driving through the province we saw countless citrus groves and small towns along the way. Oranges, mangos, and avocados are grown and exported from this region. I continued to pick Sydney's brain for more information as we traveled. He was helpful in explaining about the different cultures that were living in the region, the trout fishing that was done in the different lakes, and the variations in the landscape with respect to the mountains that run along the Blyde River Canyon.

Along the way we had the opportunity to stop and shop. The drivers to us to an area in which was alongside the road before you went under a viaduct that sat above a river valley. This area like most of the areas that we would frequent was filled with women who were selling different arts and crafts. I was in heaven looking at the different items that were for sale. Carved wooden masks, walking sticks, bamboo bowls, marbled figurines, beaded jewelry and so much more. As we got of the bus we were swarmed by the different vendors. We surely looked like anxious young tourists greedy for a souvenir or two. I was immediately snapped up by a woman with the cutest little baby wrapped around her back. I visited her stand first and perused the many items that I wanted to buy. I didn't want to seem like an impulsive shopper so I told her that I would come back. I began to look around and was again swarmed by the women who were willing to give me great deals as long as bought from their shops. They also began to tell me stories of their lives and how my money would help them. I was beginning to feel overwhelmed as I went to the different booths. I officially drew the line and went back to the first woman I encountered after two women put their hands on me and literally pulled me to their booths and began to guilt me into buying from them. I had had enough, I got my goods and quickly headed back to the van. I was glad to get out of there without spending all my money. Some of my classmates had to pull themselves from the grasps of the vendors as well. I felt bad that we had to leave, but I knew that if we didn't none of us would have any money left for the rest of the trip.
We arrived at the Tremisana lodge about mid afternoon. We were greeted by the lodge manager, Pearl and her daughter, Leann. They offered us a warm welcome and a refreshingly cold glass of mango juice. During our introductions we began to choose our room assignments (communication problem 2). Let's just say that this did not go to well. It can be said that when traveling with a group of people you know you can expect a bit of tension to occur. The honeymoon was coming to an end a lot sooner than I expected. Who knew that it would unravel with something this simple. Once things were settled we were informed that we had time to unwind and prepare for a mid evening game drive.
Before we headed out to the game drive our professor felt that it would be best to have a pow wow to address the tension amongst the group. I am always game to clear the air. I do not like to have things bottled up if I can help it. Things started off well, but as things get pointed out emotions can get in the way of rationality. I can say that the pow wow was somewhat helpful, but in actuality I think it did a touch more harm than good. None the less things were out in the air and people could then deal with their issues as they saw fit. I personally was glad that it was over and we could resume with the rest of the trip with less tension than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment