Sunday, May 17, 2009

On our way to Dennilton and a Buddhist Temple!

I enjoyed my stay at the Africa Centre. I think that if I were to come back during a warmer time I would have been able to take advantage of the other amenities that were offered. The swimming pool and jacuzzi both looked inviting, but it was to darn cold to enjoy them comfortably. The breakfast buffet was also a rather tasty benefit of staying there. I was going to miss my egg whites, fresh fruit, mango juice and wonderful wheat toast in the mornings. The staff were all friendly and helpful while we were there. There was one exception and that was due in part to the rude exchange that I had with a member of the staff over the internet connection.

This conversation transpired as I inquired about the internet connection that they offered. I was told that they had a free internet connect so I went to find out how to access the connection. As I asked the woman at the desk about the internet she proceeded to tell me no it is not free and unlike us Americans who get it for free, we have to pay for it in South Africa and it is expensive. I stood there I bridled my tongue from saying something out of pocket and thought to myself 'Wow, Really?! I so did not ask for your opinion that night'. I simply told her that I pay for the internet just as she does and that it costs and just doesn't float around free.' After I paid for and received my internet code I left tired and annoyed with this woman for offering her unwanted opinion. I was aware that the internet situation is a bit different than home, but next time please spare me the rude ass lecture.

The next morning we headed to the Mpumalanga province. This province is known for the citrus fruit and maize that are grown throughout and it is best known for Kruger National Park. The languages that are spoken in this province range from Zulu, Afrikans, Swati, Ndebele, and English. Before heading to Kruger National Park we drove to Dennilton. This was the location for our first service project.

The project that we worked with is called, Youth With a Vision. We arrived on a Sunday morning and were treated to a lively church service. The church service was conducted by the coordinators of the project. Cynthia and Jabbo. After the sermon we were formally greeted by Cynthia and Jabbo, the mothers of the site, and the children. We were treated to lunch that included fried chicken, beet root salad, spinach and potatoes, pap with tomato and onion sauce, and a vegetable salad. This food was great to me since I hadn't eaten since the morning. I will admit that when I tasted pap I didn't know what to think. I wanted to think it was like a stiff mashed potato like grit substance. It was bland, but with the added tomato sauce it gave it a better taste.

After lunch Cynthia and the others began to explain to us the mission of Youth With a Vision. The goal of the program is to empower the people that it serves and to provide a sustainable income to help maintain the life of the center. Their goals include reaching out and empowering the teens that frequent the center. Their hope is that the teens can help to reach and uplift their peers and as well as other members within their community. Their programs include a young men of valor program, a sports and recreation program and a program for single teen mothers. For the single mothers, they offer a program that is facilitated by peers to encourage the other young ladies to not have children at younger ages. 

After spending the day there we headed to our lodging for the night. We were going to be staying at a Buddhist Temple. Yep you heard right folks, we were going to be staying in a Buddhist Temple for the next two nights. In our pre departure meetings our professor informed us of our lodging options. I was not sure what this would entail. My mind began to conjure up images of men the Tibetan monks dressed in their robes, praying at different hours and silence outside of their prayer schedules. Yes, I am aware how stereotypical that may sound, but I will be the first to admit I do not frequent Buddhist temples often. There is going to be a learning curve there. I am looking forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment