Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Packed or not packed?! That is my problem!


 So this is it?! One day before the trip of a lifetime and guess what? I am sweating bullets. Why?! 

 I am not packed. All of my belongings for this trip sit in bags on my parent's living room floor and are not moving. Ok, let's rephrase this, I am a quarter of the way packed. I have put my socks in my suitcase. Yah that counts for something, right?!! So another hour passes and my mother is doing her usual, she is giving me her "Uh Huh. Procrastinating again look." I laugh and say to myself, you're wrong this time mom! I am merely metaphysically moving all these clothes, socks, sarongs, and toiletries into my suitcase. Sometimes these mind tricks take a while to kick in.  So after another 30 minute mind packing session and a diversion to go and get something to eat I have finally made up my mind to aggressively pack. 

 I begin to roll and fold my clothing into my suitcase in a pace like no other. I am on the roll and it is a beautiful thing. I begin to look over my packing list and marvel at the thought that I should be able to get everything in there and still make weight for my flight. Hmm! I wonder ho much does British Airways allow. Time for another diversion. To the internet! After an hour later I have found my answer. No, it did not take me an hour to find out the weight restriction I merely had to check and return emails, check Facebook for every five minutes, check my bank account, and browse the internet for entirely nothing. Yeppp! It is almost 11pm now and I began this arduous task at 1pm. Wow What a day!

 I turn of the net and finish up my packing. This time it takes me another 30 minutes to make sure I have everything packed in my suitcase, carry-on, and my briefcase. I made sure I had the essentials out and ready in my briefcase:
  1. Passport
  2. Copy of my passport
  3. My wallet
  4. Flight Itinerary
  5. Insurance cards
  6. Class handouts 
  7. Pens
  8. Ipod
  9. Laptop case and chord
For my carry-on I included:
  1. Quart sized bag with toiletries 
  2. Ear plugs 
  3. Eye cover
  4. Change of clothes
  5. Change of shoes
  6. Snacks
I know this sounds like a lot, but one can never tell how much to take for this long flight.  In total air time I believe we were going to be in the air for close to 22 hours. 

 As I zip my suitcases shut and lay the locks by them I begin to get a bit eager. It begins to set in that I will be leaving for my first ever international trip. A trip that I have waited and prayed for, for some time now. I am stoked that I will soon be in London and then SOUTH AFRICA! 

1 comment:

  1. Can I just tell you that I love how you had time to take pictures of yourself not packing as you 'hurried' to pack...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete