Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Just Breath Thickfreakness!

Wakey Wakey!!

*insert annoying alarm on cell phone*.....Crap is it 4:45am already!!! Yep it is.....get up....must get up.......

Wakey Wakey!


Five minutes later I arise. I'm not sure the extra time did anything, but mind is alert and ready to get out the door. Before I get ready to roll I run through my pre-run routine

1. Bathroom time: You know all those things that need to be done, but don't need an actual description.

2. Medication: Over the years my allergies and asthma and I are coming to an understanding. I take them they take care of me. Nose candy and a hit of the lovely (inhaler) and I'm good to go.

3. Fuel: I have often toyed with and still am figuring out what fuels me best before a run. So far 1 glass of OJ and 1/2 Graham cracker do the trick. Yes I know as a Dietitian I should probably think of other things, but heck what works for some may not work for all.

All right I am batting 1000 now. Almost out the door. Last thing I do is gear check.

4: Gear check: Frozen water bottle, iPod, headphones, water bottle, and gear bag (wallet, towel, etc).

Sweet!!! Lacing up and almost out the door when BAM I remember where I am and must do my choke a horse-but save my life spray me down against......dun dun dun.......West Nile Virus!!!! Surely to induce another hit of the Lovely.

The Run


I get to the trail....and I'm amped up!!! Oh yeah time to run! Today's run is a 3 miler. Surely I got this. Piece o cake! Let me grab my iPod and get out there. Here is where the fun begins. I go to select my play list and nothing happens. I charged it didn't I.....yes. It comes on now and now it won't play, the lights are on screen shows it's playing, but no sound. Ok let's try one more time....hold the power button for a bit and whisper a secret Apple iPod prayer.......drumroll.......and yet nothing.

HOW Awesome!!! Well I won't let this minor setback keep me down. Who needs music anyway. Running unplugged has helped me to refocus anyway. Grabbed the phone and turned on my tracker and hit the trail.

Oooh mile one down.....I'm cooking with crisco.   Mile 2 down......suki suki nah!!! Feeling good......Feeling Great!!!! Here comes the home stretch.......Bam! Breathing getting a we bit difficult. I shake my fist at the humidity outside. I take a few deep breaths and keep going. Legs, shins, and feet are staying strong. After my weekend race I am glad they are  holding up well and not cramping. (Note to self: spend more time with the foam roller). Almost done.

2.5 miles and reaching the home stretch.....my legs have thankfully gotten over their "Is it time for Marathon Training Already." feel. Ahhhhh.....made it mile 3 and some change. Its over. Done it without stopping.

Stoked and pumped. Made it through day one of marathon training.


The "COOL" Down


Time to cool down, stretch and relax. Day one is done, my mind is ripe and ready to begin the journey that is Marathon training.

Cue the cool down theme for the day: ThickFreakness by The Black Keys


Thanks to Pandora this was the first song that came on by a pretty groovy band, The Black Keys
The guitar rifts made me feel like a bad rocker chic who rocked her 1st day of training.

K's Kudos for the day 

(Positive Takeaways for the Day)

1. Good job on the breathing. Inserted deep breaths helped to keep me going for the day.


Cheers mates.....


No comments:

Post a Comment