Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Shake it Out (Week 4)

No Use Crying over spilled Milk

Waking up this morning I realized that I needed to have a good run. The events from last night's football game left me wanting and hoping for a different outcome. I was hoping that the botched call did not happen and the Packers indeed won the game. 

Twas not the case when I turned on Sports Center. It was still the hot topic. Everyone was chiming in and trying to make sense of how the refs managed to bungle yet another play. I know this debate will rage on for a few more days, or until the next mistake occurs. Hopefully it will speed up negotiations between the Refs and the Comish. No doubt it will leave a terrible stain on the season, but believe me there is no use crying over spilled milk for me. 

After having my feel of Sports Center,  I righted myself and headed out the door. Running late, I knew I had to boogie to get to the trail if I wanted to start the run with my sole sistas. Since my runs are "unplugged" (without music), I cranked up the Ipod a jammed out along the way. The Roots, Florence + The Machine, David Guetta were all getting me stoked for my run. I hop out, spray myself down (nothing like the aromatic fragrant smell of OFF in the morning) against the killer mosquitoes, and walk to the trail. I made it just as the group was leaving. 

Ready...Set...Go....

I began my run faster than I have in a long time. According to Atalantis (my Garmin) I completed my first mile with a 12:05 fast. Holy Canoli! I have not been there since....hmmmm.....you get the point. It has been a long time. It felt good and I liked it. 


As I continued the run I prayed to be able to continue feeling good and focused. My breathing was not giving me the blues. I was focusing on my breaths and keeping my mind clear with each stride. I took the scenic route from the trail and headed to run around the nearby duck pond. A few of my run sistas joined me along the way. I was glad I was able to carry on a conversation as we ran part of the way. Sad to say this, but sometimes I am focusing so hard on my breathing or trying to have a good run that I  barely talk. 

Making our way back I looked at Ata and was amazed at my pace, 12:13 at mile 3. Woo hooo! Lets see if I read that right. I tapped the bezel on Ata for the light to come on. Of course since there is still a user learning curve going on here, I accidentally switched to the virtual partner screen. Crap balls. I am like now how in the world do I get away from this screen without my messing anything up. Of course I know......just push buttons until it goes away. What can I say I am a "figure it out on your own kind of gal". Needless to say, I was able to get back to my training screen and saw that I completed my 5K for the day with a time of 38:05 (12:15 pace) Nice!!!

Shake It Out


In the end, it felt good to have a great run. I was focused and determined to shake off the anger bug. Did the anger help push me on my run? To some degree I think so. I do think the rest of my pushing came from my determination to have a good solid run. Lately, I have been centering my runs on my prayer time (ie: my daily chats with God). Being able to bridge my running with my prayer time has led to a deeper spiritual connection. Being filled with God's presence helps me to stay focused and to feel at peace. My mind is clearer and I am not in such a rush to complete the run. I plan on continuing this practice as marathon training continues. This journey is surely one that  requires the extra help.

As I press on I will turn up my song for the day and rock on!!!

KPositives: Steady and focused breaths helped with the increase in my pace. Deeper breaths were helpful when I developed a slight side stitch. 

CDS: Florence and The Machine: Shake it Out!


No comments:

Post a Comment